- Do you want to build a business or do you want to run a business? They are not the same! I am a horrible CEO. I can not deal with the daily minutia of running a company. But I can come up with innovative ideas, spread the vision, inspire action, and attract top talent to my company. So I stick with that. If you love being a part of the daily action, then perhaps you need to align yourself with a visionary who can inspire you and help you think bigger. And if you are a visionary, you sure as hell better hire a great operator to run your business!
- If you want to create a new division or start a completely new division, make sure you hire someone to run that first, or else you will just end up with another job. First WHO, then what. If you start a new division and are running that yourself, you become addicted to the income from that job and it may prevent you from growing your world larger. So start with talent. Give them the opportunity. Let them grow the division/business.
- Pay yourself a salary and take the rest of the money off the table. It’s not easy, but it’s simple. Can you live frugally enough to invest profit into people or a new division?
- Fail forward fast! You’re not always going to make the right decision, but I guarantee you will learn from it and make a better decision the next time. A majority of business building is just overcoming mistakes, pushing through challenges and fighting forward. The faster you can do this, the better! Do not fear the fight.
- Learn to embrace the suck and find an outlet. For me, it’s mediation and exercise. Whatever it is for you, just make sure you have time built into your schedule every day that allows you to step away from the business and create mental space. Your best ideas and the solutions to challenges that have been plaguing you will usually come when you are reading, hiking, or playing with your kids.
- At some point in your career, you will spend hours just reading and thinking and working on yourself. This is not selfish. It is necessary in order to attract talent and empire builders into your life. It is necessary so that you are consonantly increasing your knowledge so you can pour back into your people. Staying one step ahead of your team will be your mission. Investing into yourself daily is the way to get it done.
- Support your employees and remove roadblocks. It is not your job to hold their hand and do the work for them. It is your job to lead yourself first so that you can be the best leader for them. It is your job to teach and help your team work on their mindset so that they can continue to grow.
Some people may feel like the future of our country is uncertain, and those feelings are completely valid. But I am totally certain of my future, of the future of my companies, of the future of my family. I am building the world I want to live in every day. It’s a crazy, exciting, challenging, maddening, amazing journey. If you’re interested in building something great with me, let’s talk.